Nelson's Story

My road to solving the mystery of my great-grandfather's (Nelson P. Joyce) 1866 adoption; and finding out about the life and family of his biologic parents, Nelson Parker and Catherine Shaw. Also, to appreciate the sacrifice Nelson made, and what he suffered for his country and family. I hope to eventually contact the family of this new branch on our tree and see if they were aware of Nelson, Jr. and if not , make them aware of him and all of us!
My maiden name was (ironically) PARKER also, this is not about those relatives.




Before I go further I want to list the order and sizes of the groups of soldiers I will be referring to.


Company F - Companies were made up of 100 men each+2-3 Officers

93rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry (O.V.I.) - was a Regiment of 10 companies-=1000 men + Officers

(A-K, no I{it looked too much like a J in the script of the day})occasionally they were

named after their head officer, like Ward's or McCook's.

5 Regiments made up a Brigade, 1st thru 5th=5000men+

4 Brigades make up a Division, 1st thru 4th=20,000 men+

3-4 Divisions make up a Corps= 60,000 men+ numbered with Roman Numeralss, I II III IV

2-4 Corps made up an Army

Army of Ohio, Army of the Cumberland, etc,


As the men were killed or captured numbers changed and groups (Brigades, Divisions, Corps and sometimes even the Armies) were combined or split off and reassigned or new groups were made. So when your reading about a battle you need to know what the name of Nelsons group was at that point. He was always in the 93rd O.V.I., Company F.


Friday, July 17, 2015

How to read this blogg



     NELSON P. JOYCE AND FAMILY

UPDATED JULY 23, 2015.  I REDID THE SITE AND PUT EVERYTHING ON ONE POST.  NOW YOU CAN JUST READ FROM THE TOP.  THEN NEXT VISIT PAGE DOWN TO WHERE YOU STOPPED READING ON YOUR LAST VISIT.

DEBBIE

I have posted copies of the fornms mentioned when the copies or photographs are not too faded.  Just DOUBLE CLICK  them to get a closer view.



This is a work in progress . I have made some major changes and additions prior to JULY 23RD, 2015 so you may want to look back over what you already read.

1 comment:

  1. Benjamin Joyce's will mentions his "wife Debora Joyce".....'sister Adaline HUngerford" ...."neice Savina Megee"....."sister Martha Pollick" and friend Christopher C King. There is no mention of Nelson or his family....

    ReplyDelete